Hold on to your wallets! We've got a few simple ideas that’ll help you save cash on your next trip.
Traveling is fun, but it can be so expensive! Fortunately, we’ve compiled eight ways to save a few dollars on your next trip:
- Bring your own food. When it comes to traveling, food can be one of your biggest expenses. If you’re going on a road trap, pack a cooler with sandwiches, drinks, fruit, and easy-to-eat snacks. You’re also likely to save more money by purchasing additional snacks and meals at grocery stores rather than convenience stores or fast food joints.
- Pack an empty water bottle if you’re flying. Bottled water is expensive in the terminal, and while you can’t bring a full bottle through security when it’s full, you can while it’s empty. Add water from a drinking fountain when you’re at your gate.
- Cook it yourself. If you’re staying at a hotel, try to book an efficiency suite. Many of these rooms are equipped with a refrigerator, stove, and microwave.
- Make an itinerary. You can use Groupon, Living Social, and Amazon Local to scout out advance deals on meals and fun activities.
- Skip the souvenirs. While it’s fun to splurge while traveling, most souvenirs are overpriced and cheaply made.
- Double up. Plan a vacation with friends, and you can halve (or even quarter) your accommodation expenses. You can find great deals on beach houses or cabins, and many hotels offer divided suites.
- Couch surf. Plan your next vacation in an area where you have friends and family. Couch surfing is free, and if you’re only staying for a few days, it will be just as fun as a hotel—without the added expense. (But make sure you bring a thank-you gift for your friends and family!)
- Plan in advance. Book your flights, hotels, or cruises in advance—rates are likely to be lower. You can also subscribe to services like AirfareWatchDog.com that will let you know when the best rates to your destination of choice are available.
- Rearrange your vacation time. Avoid traveling during traditional school or holiday breaks and take advantage of hugely discounted rates.
How do you save money on travel? Leave your tips in the comments!