It’s a baby shower! We are joining with some amazing bloggers to celebrate a new addition to the family! Katie Clark, from Clark’s Condensed and The Blog Help, will welcome her second son at the end of September.
Babies need gear, which is why moms and dads love baby showers so much. But in the midst of all the hoopla surrounding the anticipated arrival of the little bundle of joy, a little realism might be appreciated. How many pairs of itty bitty baby socks will the wee one wear before they are outgrown? Diapers and wipes are practical gifts, but what if the baby’s skin turns out to be sensitive to a certain brand? Wouldn’t a breast pump and nipple cream be best purchased by the mother herself? (Think gift cards!) Our list of non-traditional gifts below promises to make the new parents happy while helping the baby reap the rewards.
- A slow cooker: While it may not seem strictly for baby, the Crock Pot is many a new parent’s best friend. Throw the ingredients into the magic pot in the morning and supper is served hours upon hours later with no more thought. Add some slow cooker liners and maybe a Crock Pot cookbook and it’s an awesome gift for baby showers, wedding showers, birthdays, or holidays.
- Food: Who doesn’t love a homemade casserole lovingly delivered to the front door by a thoughtful friend or neighbor? Who doesn’t appreciate a stock pile of gift cards that make a quick run for carry-out or delivery that much easier? Who turns up their nose at a gift basket full of snacks for those late night feeding sessions?
- Maid service: Such a tiny being can wreak so much havoc in an otherwise orderly home. Hire someone to come in and help with housekeeping chores once or twice a month for the first few months until the new parents get their bearings. But be careful with this gift: first time parents may question this gift. Veteran parents will brag to everyone they know.
- A movie subscription: Although experts say that babies shouldn’t watch TV, nights out for Mom and Dad are often on hiatus for months after the baby is born. Invest in their relationship with the opportunity to catch up on some flicks via Netflix or Amazon Prime.
- A comfy (but cute) outfit: For mom, not the baby. The baby gets all kinds of sweet little onesies and rompers and nine-piece outfits, and mom is stuck with maternity clothes she’s grown to hate. Give her a cute pair of pajamas or a comfy pair of yoga pants that are easily washed. If you really want to splurge, include a gift card for a local beauty salon so that she can find her humanity through a new haircut and maybe a mani/pedi. She’ll thank you for it.
- A night out: Buy a gift certificate to a local restaurant and movie theater and package it with a free baby-sitting coupon. Reinforce that it can be redeemed at any time during the baby’s first year. Periodically follow up on the gift so Mom and Dad know that you intend to uphold your offer.
Feel like you’re snubbing the little one by focusing on Mom or Dad? Tack on a little something extra, like a baby-safe teddy bear, board book, or blanket. The baby won’t know the difference, and you’ll still be immortalized in the baby book. But a happy mom or dad makes for a happy household: a little pampering will give the baby a more relaxed, confident, and happy parent. Now that’s a gift worth giving.
Check out all of these great Baby Shower Ideas from our friends at the Online Blog Conference!
Activities and Gifts
Custom Baby Mobile from Live Like You are Rich
Baby Shower Unscramble Games from Sight and Sound Reading
Free Printable New Baby Coloring Pages from The Wise Owl
Rub a Dub Dub Baby Shower Centerpiece PLUS Party Favor from Lady Behind the Curtain
How to make a Baby Diaper Wreath from Madame Deals
Snacks and Drinks
BBQ Cheese Crescents from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Pumpkin Spice Baby Shower Mints from Mama Plus One
Easy Dinosaur Cookies from Cake Whiz
Gender Reveal Cookies from Taste of Lizzy T
Baby Shower Popcorn from Marilyn’s Treats
Sugar Cookie Fruit Cups from Bitz and Giggles
Muddy Buddies for a Boy from Made From Pinterest
Mock Champagne Punch from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Elephant Cake Pops from Pint Sized Baker
Rice Krispie Treat Pops from Persnickety Plates
Vegan Zucchini Cake with Lemon Frosting from The Viet Vegan
Baby Shower Dessert Cheesecake Baby from Hungry Happenings
Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream with Lavender Infused Olive Oil from The Joyful Foodie
Ultimate Oreo Layer Cake from The Crafting Foodie
Gluten Free Cream Cheese Brownie Ice Cream from Flippin Delicious