Are you looking for healthy food options that include some fun-factor ingredients? This strawberry mouse and cheese idea from Stephanie Keeping at Spaceships and Laser Beams is colorful, nutritious, and is sure to earn you a smile! It’s a great addition to a party dessert table, plus you can feel good about offering guests something that’s not full of added sugar.
A full tray of these little mice looks amazing, but it’s also amusing to have them hiding out on other food displays. Don’t wait for a party, though, because these mice are good at home too! (Especially for those little guys who like to play with their food!)
A healthy fruit and cheese snack your kids will adore!
- Swiss cheese
- Mini chocolate chips (3 per mouse)
- 1 long black licorice string
- Sliced almonds (2 per mouse)
- Small wheels of Gouda cheese (alternately, cut a block of cheese into triangles)
- Cut a slice of Swiss cheese to fit the cracker of your choice. Set aside.
- In the meantime, wash your strawberries and pat dry. Cut off the leaves and the bottom 1/3 of the strawberry, and insert a black licorice tail (about 1.5 times the length of the berry) into the back (the wide end) of the berry. You may need a tooth pick to poke a hole.
- Use the pointed ends of the chocolate chips to anchor two eyes and a nose into the berry, and add two almond slices on top for ears.
- Finally, arrange the berry “mouse” and a wedge of Gouda on top of the Swiss cheese cracker. Enjoy!